|Bonnie Duncan and Tim Gallagher in "Poste Restante"|
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
"Poste Restante" at Charlestown Working Theater
Squirrel Stole My Underpants Creator Performs for Adults
by Guest Blogger: Bonnie Duncan, (They Gotta Be Secret Agents)
Poste Restante: A madly inventive mix of acrobatics, paper, laughter, dance, flight, puppetry, longing, and film…all stuffed neatly into a box.
Before creating "Squirrel Stole My Underpants" at Puppet Showplace, I focused my performing work on adult audiences. "Poste Restante", a piece I made with my dance partner Tim Gallagher, is returning to Boston Feb 20-23rd at Charlestown Working Theater.
Beyond being a lovely piece of theater, here are the...
Top 5 Reasons you should go see Poste Restante:
1. If the child in you enjoyed Squirrel Stole My Underpants, the adult in you will be charmed, wowed, and touched by Poste Restante. It’s the perfect date-night piece of theater. Or, bring the kids to our Sunday, Feb 23rd show at 2:00 pm---it’s family-friendly!
2. You can have it all: Soulful Acrobatics! Cheeky Theatre! Refreshing Dance, Puppetry, & Film! Tim Gallagher and I perform a brilliantly imaginative form of physical theater, effortlessly moving back and forth between acrobatics, puppetry and dance. Our poetically beautiful, absurdly logical show is by turns funny, dazzling, and, in the end, surprisingly poignant.
3. Poste Restante brings communication down from a high-tech, instant, "now,now, now" process to a more tangible, visceral level where letters and boxes travel through real space and time, and survive countless potential mishaps along the way. “The charming performance piece is a love letter to the deep human need we have to connect and the terrible trouble we have in succeeding.” – Culture Map Austin
4. We perform under the name “They Gotta BeSecret Agents” which is apt, considering how we usually spend our daily lives: I am the mother of 3 kids under the age of 5, living in Jamaica Plain; Tim is finishing up medical school in New York City and will begin a 4 year residency in Emergency Medicine in June. We created and currently rehearse this show on the weekends, traveling between cities, mailing various items and ideas through the mail.
5. This show won “Best Touring Show” (Austin Critic’s Table), “Best of the Fringe” & “Best Physical Comedy” (San Francisco Fringe). It’s received standing ovations from audiences across the US and Europe. The Prague Post called Poste Restante "Inspired choreography that is so stark and evocative... this crowd pleaser is not to be missed.” It was developed with support from the Jim Henson Foundation, Puppeteers of America Endowment grant, Cambridge Arts Council, and the Mass Cultural Council.
See you and your friends there!
MORE INFORMATION: http://www.the-secret-agents.com